Hello Highlanders! It’s time for a new year and a new you! To start a new year off right with your career, Alumni Career Programs through the UCR Alumni Association has many resources available to help you in your current career or aid in helping to find a new one. Make sure to take advantage of all that the program has to offer.
We’re excited to announce the launch of two virtual book clubs focused on professional development for UCR alumni. The groups will each be an online community where alumni can connect with each other and enjoy books on professional topics such as business, communications, leadership, productivity and more. Participation is $19 per year for UCR alumni to cover the administrative costs and to help ensure participants are committed to this virtual community.
You can sign up at http://www.pbc.guru/ucriverside/ or keep reading to learn more. Signups for the program close on Sunday January 22nd but don’t wait to sign up because we’re limiting each group to 150 alumni on a first to join basis.
How it Works
We’re creating two virtual book clubs for UCR covering a range of professional topics. Each club will have their own private LinkedIn Group where people can discuss the current book and connect with each other. Participating in one of the book clubs is only $19 per year. Note that we are limiting participation in each group to 150 alumni on a first to join basis. The group will read a book every two months so you’ll have plenty of time for each book. You can sign up and learn more here.
Why Should You Join?
There’s three main reasons we hope you’ll be excited to participate in one of our alumni book clubs:
1. Connect with Fellow UCR alumni: Want to connect with intelligent, driven and interesting people? Joining the book club will introduce you to UCR alumni across industries, generations and geographies to help you improve your network.
2. Advance your Career: A professional book club enhances your career on two fronts. First, the books you read will make you more effective in areas critical to success like leadership, communication and productivity. Second, the network you’ll be building can help you with career advice, introducing you to the right people and finding your next job.
3. Reading is Good for You: Did you know business people who read at least seven business books per year earn over 230% more than people reading just one book per year? Or that reading improves your intelligence, reasoning ability and has been linked to reducing the chance of Alzheimer’s? Joining one of our book clubs will help you read more and enjoy all the benefits that come with it.
- Career Journeys – UCR alumni out 5 years or more can now receive specially priced career counseling and resume packages designed to change the game in your career. (for more information about Career Journey’s services, call 1-855-8-CAREER) *This is only a benefit to alumni who are members of the UCR Alumni Association. Not a member? Join now.
- Career Webinars – Watch webinars from industry leaders and authors to help you propel your career to the next level. There are archived webinars (100+) for all levels of career, from entry level, to those who are ready for retirement. This is UCR Alumni Association’s one stop shop for career advice. All UCR Alumni are able and encouraged to use this service. Some upcoming webinars that will be beneficial to UCR Alumni are:
- FlexJobs.com – UCR Alumni Association members receive up to 30% off job search services through FlexJobs, a leader in flexible and telecommuting job postings. Sign in to your alumni benefits portal to access your savings.
Women’s Leadership Conference 2017
The UCR Alumni Association, in co-sponsorship with the Women’s Resource Center, the Women in Business student organization, and ASUCR, invites you to the Second Annual Women’s Leadership Conference. UCR alumni and friends will lead sessions where they will discuss various topics that women face in the workplace. The program will include keynote speakers, breakout sessions and conclude with a professional dress fashion show. All are welcome to attend this conference.
Use these options to connect with UCR alumni and promote open positions within your company:
- Log on to the Career Center website and post a job for current students or recent graduates.
Are you currently looking for a job?